Five Teens Arrested After Stealing White Hyundai and Evading Law Enforcement in Vancouver

VANCOUVER, Wash. – Five teenagers were taken into custody by law enforcement officials in Vancouver after allegedly stealing a white Hyundai and leading officers on a chase. The Clark County Sheriff’s Office reported the incident on February 2, 2024.

According to authorities, the incident began when deputies received a report around 7:31 p.m. about a stolen 2017 Hyundai Elantra. The car’s owner had been following their stolen vehicle near Northeast 117th Avenue in the Orchards area. However, the pursuit came to a halt when one of the occupants of the stolen car pointed a gun at the owner.

Despite attempts by law enforcement to capture the stolen Hyundai over a 30-hour period, the vehicle managed to evade them each time. However, in the early morning hours of Friday, the Hyundai was once again located near Northeast 49th Street and 112th Avenue.

As deputies attempted to apprehend the juveniles in the vehicle, the stolen Hyundai accelerated, drove recklessly, and attempted to elude the officers southbound on Northeast 121st Avenue. Spike strips were deployed by the deputies, causing the Hyundai to run over them near Northeast 122nd Avenue. The vehicle continued to drive on multiple flat tires, leaving behind tire remnants and vehicle parts along several streets.

Ultimately, the Vancouver Police Department spotted the Hyundai and followed it along Northeast 162nd Avenue and Northeast 39th Street. The chase ended when the vehicle came to a stop in someone’s front yard in the 1000 block of Northeast 164th Avenue.

The 16-year-old driver and the four other teenagers in the stolen car were subsequently arrested by Clark County Sheriff’s Office deputies. The driver faces charges of possession of a stolen car, attempting to elude police, and reckless driving. The three passengers, aged 17, 14, and two 13-year-olds, were all charged with second-degree taking a motor vehicle without permission. All five teens were transported to juvenile detention.

Additionally, authorities noted that one of the 14-year-olds and the 13-year-old had been reported as juvenile runaways in the past. The investigation into the incident is ongoing.