Mistake by Jury Forewoman Leads to Initial Acquittal in Fatal Stabbing Case Near Waterloo Station

London, UK – A jury forewoman’s “mistake” led to the initial acquittal of three men accused of killing Adrian Keise, 32, near Waterloo Station. Keise was fatally stabbed in October 2022 in Lower Marsh, central London, after a confrontation. The Yusuff brothers, Paul and Matthew, faced murder charges, with Paul also facing a knife possession charge. Additionally, a third defendant, Moussa Traore, was charged with manslaughter. All three defendants, from south London, pleaded not guilty and stood trial at the Old Bailey in London.

After deliberating for over 10 hours, the jury was called back into court. The forewoman, when asked about reaching unanimous verdicts, mistakenly declared the defendants not guilty. However, the judge reconvened the court after receiving a jury note indicating an error. The forewoman admitted her mistake, and the judge instructed the jury to resume deliberations. The jury was discharged for a second time after 12 hours and 44 minutes of deliberation.

As the prosecution now has seven days to decide whether to seek a retrial, the defendants remain in custody. The jury’s inability to agree on verdicts for two charges prompted concern from defense barrister Kerim Fuad KC, who questioned the legality of the defendants’ continued detention following the initial verdict. Meanwhile, the trial revealed that Keise was pursued and surrounded by the defendants in the early hours of October 29, 2022, before the fatal stabbing occurred.

The altercation between Keise and the defendants escalated rapidly, starting as a minor disagreement near Waterloo Station. Prosecutor William Davis explained that it quickly spiraled into a violent confrontation that proved fatal for Keise. Matthew Yusuff allegedly wielded a bottle, while Paul Yusuff stabbed Keise three times in the back with a knife. Despite being rushed to the hospital, Keise succumbed to his injuries.

In conclusion, three men accused of killing Adrian Keise were initially cleared due to a procedural error made by the jury forewoman. The judge called the jury back into court when the mistake was discovered, and the case ended without a verdict. The prosecution now has the option to seek a retrial within the next seven days. Keise’s tragic death highlighted the rapid escalation of an altercation into fatal violence on the streets of central London.