Las Vegas, NV – A jury has awarded over $228 million in total damages to plaintiffs who sued Real Water, a bottled water company based in Las Vegas. The lawsuit stemmed from an outbreak of liver illnesses that were linked to the consumption of Real Water’s products. Tragically, one woman lost her life as a result of the outbreak. The jury found Real Water and two other defendants liable for $28.5 million in compensatory damages and ordered Real Water to pay an additional $200 million in punitive damages.
Attorney Will Kemp, who represented the majority of the plaintiffs, expressed satisfaction with the jury’s decision. He believes that the verdict will serve as a warning to other food and water companies to properly test their products. It is worth noting that this verdict ranks among the highest in Nevada’s history for a single case.
The lawsuit, filed in May 2021, also included Hanna Instruments and Milwaukee Instruments as defendants. The plaintiffs alleged that faulty testing meters produced by these companies contributed to the presence of toxic chemicals in Real Water. However, the jury did not find Hanna Instruments and Milwaukee Instruments liable for punitive damages.
Real Water has been the subject of investigations by the Southern Nevada Health District and the Food and Drug Administration. As a result, the FDA pulled Real Water from store shelves in March 2021. The company has accepted liability in this case, but its attorney believes that punitive damages should not be imposed. In his defense, he argued that Real Water did test the water, but was unaware of the presence of hydrazine, a toxic chemical used in rocket fuel.
Multiple lawsuits have been filed against Real Water, but this particular case was the first to go to trial. The plaintiffs included the family of a 69-year-old woman who died from liver failure, and the family of a 7-month-old boy who suffered from severe liver failure after consuming Real Water.
In conclusion, the jury’s decision to award over $228 million in damages holds Real Water accountable for its role in the outbreak of liver illnesses. This verdict sends a strong message to the food and water industry about the importance of proper product testing. The hope is that this case will prevent similar tragedies from occurring in the future.