Shocking Courtroom Chaos: Violent Felon Leaps Over Bench and Assaults Judge in Las Vegas

LAS VEGAS — In a startling incident captured by court cameras, a convicted felon attacked a judge during his sentencing hearing in Clark County District Court. Deobra Redden, 30, leapt over the bench and aggressively pushed Judge Mary Kay Holthus against the wall, leading to a scuffle between Redden and court officials. The altercation resulted in one court official receiving treatment at a local hospital. As a result of his violent outburst, Redden will face new charges of battery and battery against a protected person in court on Thursday.

According to a statement by Court Information Officer Mary Ann Price, Redden was present at the hearing to be sentenced on a charge of attempted battery with substantial bodily harm. The judge, Holthus, sustained injuries during the attack but did not require hospitalization, while the courtroom marshal was reported to be in stable condition after receiving stitches for a head injury.

The NBC News affiliate KSNV of Las Vegas reported that the court video revealed Redden claiming to be in a better mental state and holding new employment moments before the attack. Despite his attorney’s plea for a suspended sentence, the judge stated that she would impose a custodial sentence due to Redden’s criminal history and prior convictions.

After a member of the court is heard warning Redden to stop his assault, an alarm is sounded, prompting intervention by court personnel. Price commended the actions of court staff and law enforcement in subduing the defendant, emphasizing the court’s commitment to maintaining a safe environment for all.

Following the incident, Redden will face additional felony charges for assaulting the judge and court staff. The court has expressed its intention to review and strengthen existing protocols to ensure the protection of the judiciary, the public, and court employees.

To summarize, a convicted felon attacked Judge Mary Kay Holthus during his sentencing hearing in Las Vegas. The judge sustained injuries but did not require hospitalization, while a court official received treatment at a local hospital. The defendant will now face new felony charges for assaulting the judge and court staff. The court is reviewing its security protocols to enhance safety in the future.