Tragic Death at Disney: Long Island Woman’s Allergic Reaction Could Have Been Prevented, Lawsuit Claims

CARLE PLACE, NY – A Long Island doctor died after experiencing a severe allergic reaction to food at a restaurant in Walt Disney World, according to court documents obtained by Patch. Kanokporn Tangsuan, known as Amy, visited the Raglan Road Irish Pub at Disney Springs before her untimely death in October. Her husband, Jeffrey Piccolo, filed a lawsuit on February 22 against the establishment, claiming that her death could have been prevented if proper protocols had been followed.

The lawsuit alleges that Tangsuan and Piccolo informed their server about her severe allergies to nuts and dairy. They even questioned the waiter about specific menu items to ensure they were safe for consumption. The server assured them that Tangsuan could be accommodated and served allergen-free food. However, within an hour of eating, Tangsuan started experiencing severe difficulty breathing. She eventually collapsed at a nearby restaurant due to a severe acute allergic reaction.

Attorney Brian Denney, representing Piccolo, emphasized that the tragedy could have been avoided if Disney’s Raglan Road had fulfilled their promise to serve safe food and followed proper protocols. Denney expressed hope that this case would encourage Disney and other establishments to take guest allergies seriously.

The death of Tangsuan, a family practice physician with 16 years of experience, highlights the need for comprehensive allergy protocols in restaurants. Allergy awareness and accommodation have become increasingly important in the food industry, as more individuals are diagnosed with severe allergies. This incident serves as a reminder of the potential life-threatening consequences when allergies are not taken seriously.

Piccolo, grieving the loss of his wife, hopes that the lawsuit will prevent similar tragedies from affecting other families. The legal action seeks to hold the Disney eatery accountable for failing to prioritize the safety of its guests, particularly those with allergies. If successful, the case could set a precedent for increased scrutiny and adherence to allergy protocols in the food service industry.

To ensure the safety and well-being of diners with allergies, it is crucial for restaurants to establish and enforce clear procedures for handling allergen requests. This includes thorough ingredient labeling, proper training for staff, and effective communication between customers and servers. By implementing these measures, establishments can help prevent allergic reactions and tragic incidents like the one experienced by Tangsuan.

The outcome of this lawsuit could have significant implications for the food service industry, as well as individuals with allergies. It underscores the importance of ensuring that customers with allergies feel safe and confident when dining out. All restaurants must prioritize the well-being of their guests by taking appropriate measures to prevent allergic reactions and uphold their commitment to providing safe and reliable food.