Chaos Erupts in Las Vegas Courtroom as Defendant Attacks Judge Mid-Sentencing

LAS VEGAS – A sentencing hearing in Las Vegas took a violent turn on Wednesday morning when a defendant launched himself over the bench in an attempt to attack the judge, according to courtroom video footage. Deobra Redden, 30, was in court for a sentencing hearing related to an attempted battery charge when the incident occurred.

In the video, Judge Mary Kay Holthus is seen reacting as chaos erupts in the courtroom. Redden can be seen jumping over the bench and pulling the judge to the ground. The incident resulted in injuries to both Holthus and a courtroom marshal. The judge is currently being monitored for her injuries, while the marshal was taken to a hospital but is reportedly in stable condition.

Redden has been charged with battery and battery of a protected person and is being held in custody. His attorney has not yet issued a statement regarding the incident. The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department is currently investigating the incident, which took place at the Regional Justice Center.

Prior to the attack, Redden’s attorney requested a sentence of probation, but Judge Holthus denied the request. Redden has a history of criminal charges, including attempted theft and domestic battery.

The shocking incident has gained significant attention on social media, with the video of the attack being viewed over 30 million times. The scene in the courtroom has been described as “unbelievable” by Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson.

The Eighth Judicial District Court, where the incident occurred, prohibits weapons in the courtroom and instructs people to sit quietly during court proceedings. Following the incident, court officials are reviewing protocols to ensure the safety and security of all individuals involved.

In conclusion, a defendant attempted to attack a judge during a sentencing hearing in Las Vegas. The judge and a courtroom marshal were injured in the incident, and the defendant has been charged with battery. The incident is currently under investigation by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.